Monday, March 06, 2006

This guy's an idiot.

I'm talking about Michael Kalin, whom the Boston Globe made sure we knew was a 2005 graduate of Harvard College, perhaps in lieu of providing any actual data backing up his ridiculous, simplistic, and attribution-free opinion piece called "Why Jon Stewart Isn't Funny":
Stewart's daily dose of political parody characterized by asinine alliteration leads to a "holier than art thou" attitude toward our national leaders. People who possess the wit, intelligence, and self-awareness of viewers of "The Daily Show" would never choose to enter the political fray full of "buffoons and idiots." Content to remain perched atop their Olympian ivory towers, these bright leaders head straight for the private sector.
Oops, sorry, he quotes de Tocqueville. He's SMART.

Honestly, this article made me angry to read, not because I am an on-the-record fan of Jon Stewart, but because even more I am an on-the-record fan of calling out lazy writing, facile/unsupported conclusions and sloppy journalism. I can't believe the Boston Globe published this tripe. I'm not even going to bother tearing it apart other than to say that it's one of the dumbest fucking things I've ever seen.

p.s. The author might want to "learn" how to "use" "quotation marks."

(Thanks to TMFTML for drawing my attention to this. He provides an entirely different reason to hate on it. Ditto Ankush at Penguins on the Equator.)